4 Days Birding Tours in Bali and East Java
We were so happy after successful trip with clients from US. During April 4 – 7th 2018 between their honeymoon in Indonesia, together we were birding in Bali and East Java. The tours were fantastic with a total of 118 species, also main target Bali Myna and Javan-hawk Eagle success to recorded. 90% of the birds we found were new for Casey and Versha.
The tours started in Bali where we visited main birding locations such as around Bedugul Botanical Gardens and Bali Barat National Park. Then following the day we visited such as great forest around mount Ijen and savanna like grassland in Baluran NP and Alas Purwo NP. Casey and Versha amazed with the habitat in each birding locations and they enjoyed the pace of the tours.
Here the itinerary of the tours:
Day 1 - April 4th 2018 Meet up at hotel in around Benoa, Bali at 5.00 am then drive to Bedugul Botanic Garden in search of montane birds. Arrived here at 7.00 am, then we birding until 11.00 am. Lunch at small restaurant nears the locations, 00.30 pm continue birding in around lake Beratan and Buyan. Suddenly the rain fall so we decided to change birding area in Bali Barat NP for the main target, Bali Myna/Starling.
We were so lucky, when we arrived the rain was stop and the wild (no rings on its legs) Bali Myna perched on rooftop near the parking area. We spent just 30 minutes then looking other birds in other part of Bali Barat NP while we drive to the port of Gilimanuk.
Before the dawn we take ferry and crossed Bali strait. Then drive to the Grand Harvest Resort near the mount Ijen. We were overnight here before birding in mount Ijen the next day.
Day 2 – April 5th 2018
Check out from the hotel then drive for 30 minutes to forest around mount Ijen. When we arrived, quickly looking for the most targeted birds in Ijen, Grey-breasted Partridge. Sadly, we just heard only after hang up for half hours. Continue looking other montane birds. Lunch in Paltuding (entrance ticket to hike mount Ijen), where plenty small restaurant available. After that at 00.30 pm drive down while stop by in search of endemics and other.
At 02.00 pm we finished birding in mount Ijen, then we drive to the small marshes near Baluran NP. Our target is Asian Golden Weaver, successful added to our list. After dinner we stayed in Watu Dodol for next two nights.
Day 3 – April 6th 2018
After breakfast we went to Baluran NP, while driving-in the park stops by in evergreen area. Then we continue looking for other lowland birds in mangrove area until 11.00 am. Lunch at small canteen near the Bama beach, after that Versha want to enjoy the sea while we were rest for a while. At afternoon, drive-out then stop in Bekol savannah-like grassland for enjoyed the sunset.
Day 4 – April 7th 2018 We have a long driving on the last day. In the morning at 6.30 am we were arrive in Alas Purwo NP at south-eastern part of the island. First location was Sadengan grassland, we enjoyed our morning coffee while Banteng grazing in front of us. We were birding in Alas Purwo until 9.00 am the drive out to restaurant at Banyuwangi before we take ferries to crossed Bali strait again.
111 species is 'lifer' or new for Casey, all kingfisher on this trip become Versha's favorites also the Long-tailed Macaque and Javn-leaf Monkey / Javan Langur. Here the highlight birds and the systematic list:
Highlights of the trip:
1. Bali Myna (Starling) Leucopsar rothschildi
Found in Teluk Trima, Bali Barat NP. 1 wild bird and about 10 individuals with ring on its legs.
2. Javan Hawk-eagle Nisaetus bartelsi
Single adult bird was soaring in forest around mount Ijen.
3. Grey-and-Buff (Red-crested) Woodpecker Hemicircus concretus
Pairs with immature male were foraging in forest around mount Ijen.
4. Javan Kingfisher Halcyon cyanoventris
Single individuals perched on cable when we drive down from mount Ijen and one other in small marshes near Baluran NP
5. Great Slaty Woodpecker Mulleripicus pulverulentus
5 individuals was seen at the morning near Sadengan grassland, Alas Purwo NP.
6. Javan Pond-Heron Ardeola speciosa | Buyan Lake, Bali 7. Wooly-Necked Stork Ciconia episcopus | Paddy-field near mount Ijen, East Java 8. Lesser Adjutant Leptoptilos javanicus | Alas Purwo NP 9. White-Bellied Fish-Eagle Haliaeetus leucogaster | Bali Barat NP 10. Crested Serpent-Eagle Spilornis cheela | Bali Barat NP 11. Black-Thighed Falconet Microhierax fringillarius |Baluran NP 12. Barred Buttonquail Turnix suscitator | Baluran NP 13. Green Peafowl Pavo muticus | Baluran NP 14. Green Junglefowl Gallus varius | Baluran NP 15. White-Breasted Waterhen Amaurornis phoenicurus | Small marshes near Baluran NP 16. Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus | Bali Barat NP 17. Pintail Snipe Gallinago stenura | Small marshes near Baluran NP 18. Black-Naped Tern Sterna sumatrana | Baluran NP 19. Greater Crested Tern Thalasseus bergii | Baluran NP 20. Pink-Necked Green-Pigeon Treron vernans | Bali Barat NP 21. Orange-Breasted Green-Pigeon Treron bicinctus | Baluran NP 22. Pink-Headed Fruit-Dove Ptilinopus porphyreus | Mt. Ijen 23. Green Imperial-Pigeon Ducula aenea | Baluran NP 24. Barred Cuckoo-Dove Macropygia unchall | Bali Botanical Gardens 25. Ruddy Cuckoo-Dove Macropygia emiliana | Bali Botanical Gardens 26. Zebra Dove Geopelia striata | Bali Barat NP 27. Island Collared-Dove Streptopelia bitorquata | Bali Botanical Gardens 28. Spotted Dove Spilopelia chinensis | Baluran NP 29. (Grey-capped) Emerald Dove Chalcophaps indica | Baluran NP 30. Plaintive Cuckoo Cacomantis merulinus | Small marshes near Baluran NP 31. Sunda Coucal Centropus nigrorufus | Alas Purwo NP 32. Savanna Nightjar Caprimulgus affinis | Bali Barat NP 33. Cave Swiftlet Collocalia linchi | Bedugul Botanical Gardens 34. Grey-Rumped Treeswift Hemiprocne longipennis | Bali Barat NP 35. Small Blue Kingfisher Alcedo coerulescens | Bali Barat NP 36. Oriental Dwarf-kingfisher Ceyx erithaca | Baluran NP 37. Sacred Kingfisher Todiramphus sanctus | Bali Barat NP
38. Collared KingfisherTodiramphus chloris | Baluran NP
39. Chestnut-Headed Bee-Eater Merops leschenaulti | Bali Barat NP
40. Blue-Tailed Bee-Eater Merops philippinus | East Java
41. Oriental Pied Hornbill Anthracoceros albirostris | Baluran NP
42. Yellow-Eared Barbet Psilopogon australis | Alas Purwo NP
43. Coppersmith Barbet Psilopogon haemacephalus | Bali Barat NP
44. Freckle-Breasted Woodpecker Dendrocopos analis | Baluran NP
45. Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker Picoides moluccensis | Baluran NP
46. Laced Woodpecker Picus vittatus | Alas Purwo NP
47. Crimson-Winged Woodpecker Picus puniceus | Baluran NP
48. Black-Winged Flycatcher-Shrike Hemipus hirundinaceus | Mt. Ijen
49. Sunda Cuckooshrike Coracina larvata | Mt. Ijen
50. Pied Triller Lalage nigra | Baluran NP
51. White-Shouldered Triller Lalage sueurii | Bali Botanical Gardens
52. Small Minivet Pericrocotus cinnamomeus | Mt. Ijen
53. Sunda Minivet Pericrocotus miniatus | Mt. Ijen
54. Common Iora Aegithina tiphia | Baluran Np
55. Sooty-Headed Bulbul Pycnonotus aurigaster | Bedugul Botanical Gardens
56. Olive-Winged Bulbul Pycnonotus plumosus | Baluran NP
57. Yellow-Vented Bulbul Pycnonotus goiavier | Baluran NP
58. Ruby-Throated Bulbul Pycnonotus dispar | Alas Purwo NP
59. Orange-Spotted Bulbul Pycnonotus bimaculatus | Mt. Ijen
60. Sunda (Javan) Bulbul Ixos virescens | Mt. Ijen
61. Lesser Racket-Tailed Drongo Dicrurus remifer | Bali Botanical Gardens
62. Ashy Drongo Dicrurus leucophaeus | Bali Botanical Gardens
63. Black-Naped Oriole Oriolus chinensis | Bali Botanical Gardens
64. Blue Nuthatch Sitta azurea | Mt. Ijen
65. Crescent-Chested Babbler Cyanoderma melanothorax | Bali Botanical Gardens
66. Grey-Cheeked Tit-Babbler Mixornis flavicollis | Alas Purwo NP
67. Javan Whistling-Thrush Myophonus glaucinus | Bali Botanical Gardens
68. Golden-Bellied Gerygone Gerygone sulphurea | Bali Barat NP
69. (Javan) Sunda Warbler Phylloscopus grammiceps | Bali Botanical Gardens
70. Arctic Warbler Phylloscopus borealis | Bali Botanical Gardens
71. Mountain Leaf-Warbler Phylloscopus trivirgatus | Bali Botanical Gardens
72. Zitting Cisticola Cisticola juncidis | Small marshes near Baluran NP
73. Striated Grassbird Megalurus palustris | Bali Botanical Gardens
74. Sunda Bush-Warbler Cettia vulcania | Mt. Ijen
75. Russet (Javan)Bush-Warbler Locustella montis | Mt. Ijen
76. Ashy Tailorbird Orthotomus ruficeps | Baluran NP
77. Plain Prinia Prinia inornata | Small marshes near Baluran NP
78. Fulvous-Chested Jungle-Flycatcher Cyornis olivaceus | Bali Botanical Gardens
79. Oriental Honey-Buzzard Pernis ptilorhynchus | Mt. Ijen
80. Indigo Flycatcher Eumyas indigo | Mt. Ijen
81. Narcissus Flycatcher Ficedula narcissina | Mt. Ijen
82. Little Pied Flycatcher Ficedula westermani | Bali Botanical Gardens
83. Grey-Headed Canary-flycatcher Culicicapa ceylonensis | Bali Botanical Gardens
84. Mangrove Blue-Flycatcher Cyornis rufigastra | Baluran NP
85. Hill-blue Flycatcher Cyornis banyumas | Baluran NP 86. Sunda Pied Fantail Rhipidura javanica | Bali Barat NP 87. White-Bellied Fantail Rhipidura euryura | Mt. Ijen 88. Mangrove Whistler Pachycephala cinerea | Baluran NP 89. White-Breasted Wood-Swallow Artamus leucorynchus | Bali Barat NP 90. Yellow Wagtail Motacilla flava | Bali Botanical Gardens 91. Paddyfield Pipit Anthus rufulus | Baluran NP 92. Asian Glossy Starling Aplonis panayensis | Bali Botanical Gardens 93. Short-Tailed Starling Aplonis minor | Bali Botanical Gardens 94. Black-Winged (Grey-backed) Myna Acridotheres melanopterus tricolor | Baluran NP 95. Javan Myna Acridotheres javanicus | Alas Purwo NP 96. Olive-Backed Sunbird Cinnyris jugularis | Bali Barat NP 97. Indonesian Honeyeater Lichmera limbata | Buyan Lake, Bali 98. Scarlet-Headed Flowerpecker Dicaeum trochileum | Baluran NP 99. Blood-Breasted Flowerpecker Dicaeum sanguinolentum | Bali Botanical Gardens 100. Mountain White-Eye Zosterops montanus | Bali Botanical Gardens 101. Javan Grey-Throated White-Eye Heleia javanica | Bali Botanical Gardens 102. Java Sparrow Lonchura oryzivora | Baluran NP 103. Javan Munia Lonchura leucogastroides | Small marshes near Baluran NP 104. Scaly-Breasted Munia Lonchura punctulata | Mt. Ijen 105. White-Headed Munia Lonchura maja | Small marshes near Baluran NP 106. Asian Golden Weaver Ploceus hypoxanthus | Small marshes near Baluran NP 107. Asian Brown Flycatcher Muscicapa dauurica | Alas Purwo NP 108. Black-Crowned Night-Heron Nycticorax nycticorax | Small marshes near Baluran NP 109. Common Sandpiper Actitis hypoleucos | Buyan Lake, Bali 110. Gull-Billed Tern Gelochelidon nilotica | Baluran NP 111. Lesser Crested-Tern Thalasseus bengalensis | Baluran NP 112. Lesser Coucal Centropus bengalensis | Baluran NP 113. Pacific Swallow Hirundo tahitica | Baluran NP 114. Black Drongo Dicrurus macrocercus | Baluran NP 115. Great Tit Parus Major | Baluran NP 116. Common Moorhen Gallinula chloropus | Buyan Lake, Bali 117. Long-Tailed Shrike Lanius schach | Buyan Lake, Bali 118. Eurasian Tree Sparrow Passer montanus | Buyan Lake, Bali
1. Long-talied Macque
2. Javan-leaf Monkey / Javan Langur
4. Timor Deer
5. Water Buffalo